Lump in the throat

Could you be owed hundreds of pounds?

If you bought additional pension with a lump sum, quite possibly.

HMRC are not used to dealing with pension schemes that are NOT set up for automatic tax relief.

Link to spreadsheet

The relevant HMRC manual page to quote if the first person you talk to doesn’t understand this fully is the 3rd bullet point on this page:

  • where a member makes gross contributions to a registered pension scheme, they can make a claim to HMRC to obtain the tax relief on the contribution. The amount of the contribution is then relieved by being deducted from the member’s total income for the tax year in which the payment is made. The deduction will be shown on the member’s Self-Assessment to give them the correct amount of tax relief. Further information on claims is at PTM044240.

Proudly powered by WordPress | Theme: Baskerville 2 by Anders Noren.

Up ↑